During Dr. Sailakshmi's study period in Paediatrics, she encountered the distress of parents who were forced to watch their child die due to lack of funds to continue treatment. Due to the poor doctor-patient ratio 1:50, 2-3 sick babies would die every day. Babies would die due to absence of the simple medical equipments. These were the experiences that etched the power of life and death into her heart. The experiences of systemic inefficiencies, resource deficit, and child neglect resulting in preventable deaths brought Dr Sai to a decision, “We cannot lose one more child.” In 2007, Ekam, was birthed as a project.
As of now, the team has adequate staff with relevant qualifications in position with regard to the magnitude of the project and all the activities of the project are being carried out impeccably.
The current team includes the visionary and founder of Ekam foundation, Dr Sailakshmi.
Supporting her and the 'Ekam Soul Force Team' would be Trustees and experts ( consultants and advisors) in the field of finance, operations, HR and community activities.
List of experts:
• Mr BG Menon – Operations, Social audit , Financial and MOUs/agreements approvals
• Mr Ravindran, Prathibha, Bala – Finance and Statuatory Management
• Mr Francis Somerwell – Governance and Systems building, Knowledge, Research- Managing Central Data Repository System and Teaching/Training , Government Liaoning , Community Engagement, Corpus building, CSR-Fundraising.
Marketing, Communications , Networking and Fundraising
• Ms.Sashikala - HR, Staff empowerment, Social audits, Training and Processes Strengthening.
Knowledge Transfer will be done by Soul Force CAD- TN (Full time): (Mr Rajesh, Mr Radhakrishna, Ms Neeta, Dr Ishwarya, Mr Charles, Mrs Sujitha,Mr Thiruppathi, Mr Mohan)
The Soul Force CAD team will work under the guidance of the expert consultants (Part time)
Mr.Francis, Mr.Bala, ( Supported by Dr.Vasantha, AMS, MSS, SRS, Mr Chetan, Nologo, Swami Associates, Mr Srinivasan)
Audit is done by Advisors (Honarary): Mr BG Menon, Mr Ravindran, Mr Pratibha, Mrs Sashikala
Supported by Board of Trustees: Mrs Latha Rajan, Mr Muthu Krishnan, Ms.Radhika Jain, Mrs Garima Agarwal, Dr.Sai Lakshmi
Governed by External Auditors:
• Statuatory and Financial Auditors: Kandasami Associates and Co. &
• Social Auditors : CSIM and Abinavgram
In the future more staff will be added depending upon the extent of the program.