What impact have you had on your clients and the tourism sector?
1 Education, Awareness and Minimization
An effective environmental education and awareness program that is developed along the process of the recycling project is to be created. The purpose of the program is the involvement and training of the community in order to develop awareness of the economic value of wastes and the environmental damage they cause when they are not separated, collected and disposed properly
2. Separation and Storage
Regarding storage, the same author suggests that for low population densities, a drop-off system where accumulated recyclables are taken by the consumer to a central location and placed into individually marked receptacles, is generally the preferred option. The type, size and location of recycling receptacles or containers are very important factors.
3. Cooperative microenterprise
The creation of a recycling cooperative can be achieved by following a number of steps, starting with the constitution of the group of wastepickers that will form part of the cooperative. Therefore, the first step is the registration of all actors who want to be involved in the process. They should all be informed about the purposes and goals.
• Improved marine ecosystems after the recycling program is implemented over a long period of time
• The implementation of a plan that raises the awareness of waste minimization, separation and recycling is important to recover the situation of Roatán’s landfill, protect the environment and contribute to improve the quality of life of the waste pickers.
• Waste pickers are the best knowledgeable of recycling/recovering activities. They should be incorporated into the recycling program by organizing and incorporating them into a recycling cooperative.
• Success is achieved by creating good human resources. Training of the waste pickers is therefore important at the beginning and through the whole development of the program.
What will it take for your project to be successful over the next three years? Please address each year separately, if possible.
1. Building awareness in the local community, especially among the dive shops, the restaurants and bars in the area. Placing environmental bins in community areas, and having the businesses follow suit.
2. • Wastepickers can be incorporated into Roatán’s recycling program by providing them with training and supporting them in the creation of a Recycling Cooperative.
3. Revenue Sharing
One of the most important aspects to be considered in the formation of a cooperative is the sharing of the profit among its members. the most positive and fair distribution is the one done based on the roles (degree of responsibility) and the total number of hours worked in the month. To make a proper division of profit, the following must be considered:
1. It is important to have a timesheet of the number of hours worked by each person per month.
2. The cooperative should have a control of fixed and variable costs.
3. The monthly report should have the total profit, which would be used to calculate the value of each hour.
4. The role and responsibilities of each category of work should be defined, as well as the percentage that each will get according to the profit.
5. All regulations must be approved by the general assembly
. Each person gets what is proportional in regards to their work and level of responsibility within the cooperative. It is also recommended to establish a monthly evaluation system among the members of the cooperative in which they are evaluated by themselves. The individual and collective evaluation process is common among organizations and reflects the 21st century’s new model for work management. This evaluation process is not implemented to fire the employee, but to provide feedback for him in order to improve his/her work performance
What would prevent your project from being a success?
The biggest issue would be convincing the businesses, tourists and locals to start using the recycling program, as it would mean changing their daily habits and ingrained lifestyle. There would be an issue involving the recycling micro enterprise cooperative other than organization and education.