Problème : Quel problème ce projet essaie-t-il d'adresser ?
In 2010, those aged 55 and over accounted for 29.3% of the Belgian population (http://economie.fgov.be) However, the digital divide seniors is a reality. 46% of 65-74 year olds say n have never used a computer (23% of 55-64) when 40% of women between 55 and 74 years did they, never surfed the internet. Among the key to not use internet reasons, point the lack of computer skills (44%) and the high cost of equipment (21%). (http://statbel.fgov.be)
Tablets pc offer at an affordable price, the benefits of a touch screen but their use remains difficult (changing environment, no landmarks, all applications have their own operation, ...).
Solution: Quelle est la solution proposée? S.v.p soyez précis!
Strongly convinced that a computer is now a necessary everyday object, we are also aware of the difficulties encountered by some of us because of computer complexity. Existing solutions are indeed not suited for beginners who often feel overwhelmed by a flood of legitimate issues.
We have created an innovative software solution on Android tablet dedicated to seniors and beginners, Elementique. It is sold since June in Wallonia and Brussels via a network of distributors (IT, multimedia stores).
Affordable and ease of use, Elementique arises as a qualitative solution to fight against the digital divide. Thanks to its ergonomic design and its features, it allows anyone, regardless of their initial level of skills to be quickly autonomous, to be connected, and simply enjoy the different functions of its tablet.
Elementique clearly sets out from the usual Android environment and offers an innovative approach of tablet’s ergonomy while relying on the inherent strengths of them (touchscreen etc ):
The environment is clear, structured, identical in each application, and the user is guided by an integrated help module. The icons are large, text is clear and readable, the keyboard is alphabetically ordered or azerty, and exclusive features and applications make life easier for the user. Finally, to facilitate the approach of Internet and Mobile Applications, we have introduced a local dimension by incorporating a simplified web and apps directory.
We worked on three areas:
1. Basic features with simplified ergonomics (email, contacts, calendar, games, internet, ...)
2. More advanced features made accessible : telephony and video conferencing, data backup in the "cloud", speech recognition, anti-virus ...
3. Exclusive features: List of websites and selected apps per category (point of interest), also related to user location, alphabetic keyboard option ...
Some additional elements:
- Remote help by a friend possible
- Easing installation and removal of applications
- For greater ease, custom configuration made by the reseller: the user does not support the installation or configuration of the tablet.
- Multi-user and access to 'Office apps' possible
- Elementique allows the user, with the help of the reseller, to choose from a range of tablets which is best for them (connectivity, GPS, screen size, budget ...)