Example: Walk us through a specific example(s) of how this solution makes a difference; include its primary activities.
Rishi Aurobindo Colony now has clean alleys and access to drinking water,was once a breeding ground of diseases, a garbage dumping zone transformed into a playground and a haven for anti-social activities,now a place for peaceful co-existence.Trainings are provided on lifeskill,health and hygiene,gender,rights and leadership orientation. Simultaneously they do community‐mapping,planning and advocacy, using smart phones making film on sanitation and gender-related spot films,creates community awareness.Youth coordinate with different stakeholders to plan and implement solutions.The “community map” has been uploaded to Google Earth using mobile technology in partnership with Earth Institute of Columbia University and Map Your World website.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Also describe the projected future impact for the coming years.
• Revolutionary Optimists,a documentary by Stanford University,captures Area Health Minders’ process of work
• Visual Basics, first grassroot film studio,in partnership with Adobe Foundation using films as advocacy tools
• Odk format has been used by youth for collecting data on immunization
• There is radical shift in community people’s thinking-wider acceptance of youth as changemakers
• Gender disparity is decreasing-60%girl participation
• 70%reduction in early marriage
• Vaccination rate has increased from 40% to 90%,hence infant mortality rate has decreased and Child Health has improved.
More innovative solutions,partnerships and dialogue around child rights,health, gender,sanitation and development have been initiated.Local government and community people continue to shift their attitudes towards youth,be more responsive and accept them in development process.
Spread Strategies: Moving forward, what are the main strategies for scaling impact?
Idea of Area Health Minders is the “withdrawal strategy” of Prayasam-to make youth self sustaining so that they take leadership and onus of their community.The group will be officially registered under national law so that they can operate as “satellite grassroot NGO” of Prayasam,functioning from community itself.6 more areas will be directly served by the project through peer educators,appointed as Project Associate in Prayasam.Current training programs will be scaled up to develop “second line leadership” through peer-to-peer learning and seeking active adult participation in team’s work.