Housing, Land and Property Rights for the Climate Refugees

Housing, Land and Property Rights for the Climate Refugees

Bangladesh
Organization type: 
nonprofit/ngo/citizen sector
Project Summary
Elevator Pitch

Concise Summary: Help us pitch this solution! Provide an explanation within 3-4 short sentences.

Over 6 million people in Bangladesh have witnessed their houses, land and properties destroyed by climatic disasters. We are working to initiate sustainable solutions to climate displacement in Bangladesh in a right-based approach incorporating housing, land and property rights as a role-model and promote this as an inherent political agenda.

About Project

Problem: What problem is this project trying to address?

About 20% of the victim community people will be directly benefited by the project intervention but the real impact of the project is that the rest 80% of the community people will be benefited by projects undertaken by the Government agencies and other service providers being influenced by our project intervention. Leaders in the victim community will actively participate in all phases of any project management irrespective of the category of the implementing agencies. More transparent and accountable system will be put in place ensuring maximum benefit reaching the ultimate target audience of beneficiaries. Local organizations will respond to local problems with global understanding of the problem through alliance building with global organizations for experience sharing and k

Solution: What is the proposed solution? Please be specific!

Our idea is to empower the climate victims to raise their voices and pressurize the Government through the local elected bodies to ensure sustainable solutions to climate displacement in Bangladesh. It requires a right-based housing, land and properties recovery through capital investment instead of the ongoing superficial and cosmetic relief operation. It promotes the victim-driven host family approach rather than the traditional concentration camp approach pursued by the Government in re-settlement projects for several decades. We have witnessed that the former have been substantially sustainable in spite of limitations and bottlenecks while the later have failed in many cases even after eating up hills of resources. It plays a catalytic role in demonstrating effective and efficient model of sustainable solutions to climate displacement in Bangladesh covering 20% of the target beneficiaries. The rest 80% of the job is required to be undertaken by the Government agencies. We remain standby to empower the climate victims and provide them with back-up support as and when required. It requires disaster risk reduction as an integral and inbuilt mechanism while managing any housing, land and property issues. Finally, it promotes an institution of the victims so that they can shoulder the responsibility of responding to their own problems through leveraging Government agencies and other service providers. It recognizes the latent talents of the victim community and creates a favorable working condition so that the victim community can confront the prevailing socio-ec
Impact: How does it Work

Example: Walk us through a specific example(s) of how this solution makes a difference; include its primary activities.

Around 375 members in over 100 NGOs trained on climate-induced displacement solutions with particular emphasis on housing, land and property rights; Climate displacement in Bangladesh is monitored on monthly basis through promotion and proper functioning of citizen journalism; The victim communities and the civil society groups participation in local, national and international negotiations. Climate-induced disaster risk is reduced. An organization for and by the climate refugees is formed and made functional having community level organization in 180 most vulnerable upazilas (sub-districts). Around 6,000 climate refugee households are provided with necessary support for emergency relocation, safety nets in transit points and sustainable resettlement which include (i) access to land with due rights and privileges, (ii) climate resilient housing with proper water supply and sanitation facilities and (iii) access to livelihood assets with due rights and privileges.
About You
Organization:
Association for Climate Refugees (ACR)
About You
First Name

Muhammad

Last Name

Abu Musa

About Your Organization
Organization Name

Association for Climate Refugees (ACR)

Organization Phone

88 01928-419260

Organization Address

Flat 7B, House 560, Road 8, Adabor, Dhaka

Organization Country
Country where this project is creating social impact
How long has your organization been operating?

1‐5 years

The information you provide here will be used to fill in any parts of your profile that have been left blank, such as interests, organization information, and website. No contact information will be made public. Please uncheck here if you do not want this to happen..

Innovation
What stage is your project in?

Operating for 1‐5 years

Share the story of the founder and what inspired the founder to start this project

The social innovator is Muhammad Abu Musa who was born and brought up in the coastal area. He has learnt from natural phenomena in the coastal environment and now can compare the current situation with that of 30/40 years ago. He can also guess the future based on different reports by experts and his own findings.

Mr. Abu Musa obtained Bachelor of Arts degree and also studied Law. He obtained Post-Graduate Diploma in NGO Leadership & Management from Global Partnership, a collaboration program of SIT-USA, BRAC-Bangladesh and ORAP-Zimbabwe. He has also participated in World Bank’s Global Competition on Climate Adaptation held in Washington D.C. in November, 2009..

Mr. Abu Musa worked as Stenographer in Port of Chalna Authority before he worked as Typist in Arabian American Oil Company (ARAMCO) in Saudi Arabia. He worked for Oxfam-GB in Bangladeshd for 7 years and was deeply involved in local level NGO management. He founded an NGO and worked as Consultant to a good number of local NGOs. After the super cyclone Sidr of 2007, he joined Save the Children-UK in Bangladesh as a Consultant in their Sidr Response programs. He then also worked in UNDP-Bangladesh as Field Team Leader in their Sidr Response programs. During this period, he had a chance to experience the sufferings of the people displaced by disasters triggered by climate change impacts and he founded the “Association for Climate Refugees”.

Mr. Abu Musa is the key actor in developing the project and its documentation for submission to donors. On the wounds of super cyclone Sidr of 2007, cyclone Aila with less

Social Impact
How many people have been impacted by your project?

1,001 - 10,000

How many people could be impacted by your project in the next three years?

Please select

What barriers might hinder the success of your project and how do you plan to overcome them?

A study by Association for Climate Refugees (ACR) has revealed that more than 6 million population have been forced to move out of their habitual place of residence in 60 upazilas with the highest concentration and riverbank erosions have been identified as the number one hazard contributing to generation of climate refugees in Bangladesh. The situation has been considerably influenced by increasing vulnerability of the victims due to erratic rainfall and malpractice in international water course management by India. Valuable land with dwelling house, trees, standing crops and other livelihood infrastructures are devoured into turbulent river course. Another impact of climate change is land degradation due to salinity intrusion in the coastal areas.

Some people including high-ups in th

How will your project evolve over the next three years?

To integrate NGOs’ responsiveness to climate displacement issues into their respective projects.

To develop adequate human capacity to manage climate resilient development programs and to take part in local, national as well as international negotiations

To facilitate formation and functioning of Upazila level samity of climate refugees and their federation at the district as well as national level along side alliance building with climate change networks at local, national as well as international level

To develop an organization for and by the climate refugees to (1) monitor climate displacement situation in Bangladesh having 60 primary groups (samity) at the upazila level; and (2) resettle 2000 Ultra-poor Climate Refugee Families through Emergency Relocation (ER), in-transit

Sustainability
For each selection, please explain the financial and non-financial support from each

200 palabras o menos.

How do you plan to grow and/or diversify your base of support in the next three years?

200 palabras o menos.

Collaboration
Please select your areas of intervention in the home improvement market

Is your innovation addressing barriers in the home improvement/progressive housing market? If so, please describe in detail your mechanisms of intervention
Are you currently collaborating with private companies, or have you partnered with private companies in the past? With which companies?
Please describe in detail the nature of the partnership(s)
Select the unit(s) with which the partnership was formed