What was the defining moment that led you to this innovation?
Oral and dental treatments have the reputation of being very expensive, <<reserved to the rich>>. This is the reason why one << tries to have a decent treatment>> only when forced by a severe pain. For little revenues, the first resort is the tradi- practitioner. If necessary public hospitals or denominational.
Indeed, the equipments and consumables necessary to deliver dental treatment are very costly and their prices have repercussions on the services rendered.
Since three years, in Cameroon, business in the health sector at large and in the dental sector in particular is more and more difficult.
Early this year, I started thinking about a system in which every body would be satisfied: offer quality treatment at a price adapted to the economic environment of Cameroon in order to be accessible to the public at large. I thought that the quality of the given care would be insured by the use of up to date equipment and the sustainability of the business would be guaranteed by the use of the Personal Dental Data Card in order to avoid fraud that would lead to the break down of the system.
Tell us about the person—the social innovator—behind this idea.
Name : LIMAGNACK MIKO spouse MANGA
Given names : MARGUERITE-MARIE
Age : 44 YEARS
Address : Avenue du Général de Gaulle – Bonanjo
City : DOUALA P.O. Box : 11162
Telephone : 74 43 84 97 / 33 12 27 07 E-mail : [email protected]
Professional Training (Diplomas) :
• Doctorate Degree in Dental Surgery
• Post graduate in Biological Sciences and Medicals option “Epidemiology’’
• University Diploma in Health Economics and Organization in Dental Sciences’’
Training (Personal and Professional) :
• Advocacy and Fundraising
• Presentation - Communication – Leadership
• Talking in Public
• Patient Psychology
• Bioethics (Patient’s Rights – Relationship Patient/Care giver)
• Taking care of Traumas (at the mouth level)
• Atraumatic Restorative Treatment
• Infection Control in the Dental Practice
• Introduction to Clinical Surveys
• Dental Surgery and HIV AIDS
• Certificate to the Practice of Acupuncture
Professional Experience :
• Various replacements of colleagues from 1991 to 2000
• Manager of Cabinet Dentaire Zen since June 2000
• Dental Advisor for AXA
• Founder President of SMILE Association with as main annual activity « The Oral Health Days » (an association to vulgarise oral and dental health and to promote dental care in remote areas)
• President of Cameroon Business Women’s Network (an association to promote female entrepreneurs)
• Board Member of American Chamber of Commerce in Cameroon
How did you first hear about Changemakers?
If through another source, please provide the information
Through Vital Voices during the last ABWN (Africa Business Women’s Network) that took place in Kampala in February 2010 from a s